SLC Operations is a RISQS verified provider of Sentinel Sponsorship and PTS (Personal Track Safety) training to the railway industry
What is Sentinel?
Sentinel is a recognised safety system integrated with Network Rail’s Lifesaving Rules. It provides rail workers with a passport to work on the rail infrastructure across the United Kingdom.
‘Never undertake any job unless you have been trained and assessed competent’
To make Sentinel smart, safe and simple, Sentinel use the very latest smartcard technology, a secure and trusted database, and multiple platforms such as smartphones. This allows workers’ competence and fitness to work to be verified simply and effectively in near real time.
Sentinel Scheme Rules
Sentinel defines the rules and mechanisms for compliance with the Sentinel Scheme. These rules apply to all organisations undertaking the role of Sponsor, and all individuals holding a valid Sentinel smartcard. These rules can be downloaded from the Sentinel website here
Steps to accessing Network Rail Infrastructure with Sentinel PTS
- Determine if your work absolutely requires access to Network Rail Infrastructure
- Signup with a RISQS Approved Sentinel Sponsor such as SLC Operations Ltd
- Your Sponsor will provide you with your Sentinel Number.
- Using your Sentinel Number, undertake a Sentinel Medical Examination by an approved doctor: a list of approved doctors can be found on the Sentinel website here
- Schedule your Sentinel PTS training through your Sponsor
- Schedule any ancillary Sentinel training (e.g.: DCCR working with 3rd Rail) through your Sponsor.
- Upon completion of training, your Sponsor will apply for your Sentinel PTS Card.
- You are then able to go on or near the infrastructure only when your job requires it.
You will need to undertake additional Sentinel Medicals at a frequency determined by your age. As with all railway medical examinations, the older you get, the more frequent your medical examinations. Your Sponsor will notify you well in advance of the need to take a medical.
Every two years, you will need to schedule a Sentinel PTS refresher course and a Sentinel ancillary courses. Your Sponsor will notify you well in advance of the need to take undertake refresher courses.
Sentinel Sponsorship and programme guidance by SLC Operations
- SLC Operations is a RISQS verified provider of Sentinel Sponsorship and PTS (Personal Track Safety) training to the railway industry. If you have employees who require Sentinel PTS but do not have a sponsor or you wish to swap your existing Sponsor, you can request to be sponsored by SLC Operations.
- SLC Operations will guide you through the Sentinel process, ensuring you are safe, receive the correct training and equipment you need to undertake your work on Network Rail’s infrastructure.
- Throughout your Sponsorship with SLC Operations, you will be kept updated with news and any Rules changes that are relevant to you.
- If an incident should occur, the SLC Operations on-call team will be available to support and guide you throughout.
If you would like to discuss your Sentinel Sponsorship and PTS Training requirements, please contact us